Website of the German Lost Art Foundation

Appeal from Schlossmuseum Jever: A search for the dining room furniture owned by the Gröschler family

Date 2016.10.17

Schloss­mu­se­um Jev­er (Jev­er Cas­tle Mu­se­um) and the Gröschler House in Jev­er are ap­peal­ing for help. They are search­ing for the pieces of fur­ni­ture seen in the pho­to­graph. These are items from the din­ing room of Jew­ish cou­ple Her­mann and Änne Gröschler of Jev­er.

Her­mann Gröschler op­er­at­ed the firm S. Groeschler KG. He was al­so the head of the syn­a­gogue com­mu­ni­ty and a mem­ber of the city coun­cil un­til 1933. Her­mann Gröschler and his wife Änne, née Ste­in­feld, were forced to leave their apart­ment in Al­ban­is­traße in 1933. They moved to Blaue Straße 1 be­fore sub­se­quent­ly es­cap­ing to the Nether­lands in Jan­uary 1939. The Gröschlers had to leave their pos­ses­sions be­hind in Jev­er when they em­i­grat­ed. Her­mann Gröschler died in Bergen-Belsen con­cen­tra­tion camp on Febru­ary 16, 1944, as a re­sult of his im­pris­on­ment. His wife Änne man­aged to make her way to Pales­tine via Is­tan­bul. She lived in Jerusalem be­fore re­turn­ing to the Nether­lands, where she died in 1983.

The fur­nish­ings shown in the pho­to may have end­ed up in the house­hold of Hed­wig and Julius Gröschler, Her­mann Gröschler’s broth­er, in 1939. Julius Gröschler was forced to leave Jev­er in March 1940 by the or­der of the state po­lice. The fur­ni­ture may then have be­come an auc­tion lot in March 1940 for the auc­tion that was held on the sta­tion con­course at the time. Noth­ing more is known about the buy­ers or where the items went.

Schloss­mu­se­um Jev­er, which is cur­rent­ly ex­am­in­ing its hold­ings for Nazi loot­ed art with fund­ing from the Ger­man Lost Art Foun­da­tion, and the Gröschler House are seek­ing sup­port for the next stage of their re­search: Who can pro­vide in­for­ma­tion on the where­abouts of the items of fur­ni­ture seen in the pho­to? In­for­ma­tion and doc­u­ments re­lat­ing to the auc­tion of 1940 are al­so wel­come.

Schloss­mu­se­um Jev­er (Jev­er Cas­tle Mu­se­um) and the Gröschler House in Jev­er are ap­peal­ing for help. They are search­ing for the pieces of fur­ni­ture seen in the pho­to­graph. These are items from the din­ing room of Jew­ish cou­ple Her­mann and Änne Gröschler of Jev­er.
Her­mann Gröschler op­er­at­ed the firm S. Groeschler KG. He was al­so the head of the syn­a­gogue com­mu­ni­ty and a mem­ber of the city coun­cil un­til 1933. Her­mann Gröschler and his wife Änne, née Ste­in­feld, were forced to leave their apart­ment in Al­ban­is­traße in 1933. They moved to Blaue Straße 1 be­fore sub­se­quent­ly es­cap­ing to the Nether­lands in Jan­uary 1939. The Gröschlers had to leave their pos­ses­sions be­hind in Jev­er when they em­i­grat­ed. Her­mann Gröschler died in Bergen-Belsen con­cen­tra­tion camp on Febru­ary 16, 1944, as a re­sult of his im­pris­on­ment. His wife Änne man­aged to make her way to Pales­tine via Is­tan­bul. She lived in Jerusalem be­fore re­turn­ing to the Nether­lands, where she died in 1983.

The fur­nish­ings shown in the pho­to may have end­ed up in the house­hold of Hed­wig and Julius Gröschler, Her­mann Gröschler’s broth­er, in 1939. Julius Gröschler was forced to leave Jev­er in March 1940 by the or­der of the state po­lice. The fur­ni­ture may then have be­come an auc­tion lot in March 1940 for the auc­tion that was held on the sta­tion con­course at the time. Noth­ing more is known about the buy­ers or where the items went.

Schloss­mu­se­um Jev­er, which is cur­rent­ly ex­am­in­ing its hold­ings for Nazi loot­ed art with fund­ing from the Ger­man Lost Art Foun­da­tion, and the Gröschler House are seek­ing sup­port for the next stage of their re­search: Who can pro­vide in­for­ma­tion on the where­abouts of the items of fur­ni­ture seen in the pho­to? In­for­ma­tion and doc­u­ments re­lat­ing to the auc­tion of 1940 are al­so wel­come.

Schloss­mu­se­um Jev­er
Chris­tiane Baier
Jev­er
Schloss­platz  1
26441 Jev­er
Tele­phone+49 (0)446 196 935 0
emailc.baier@schloss­mu­se­um.de

Project de­scrip­tion (on­ly Ger­man ver­sion)

Schloss­mu­se­um Jev­er

Gröschler-Haus

Esszimmer des Ehepaares Hermann und Änne Gröschler in der Albanistraße in Jever ca. 1930 Esszimmer des Ehepaares Hermann und Änne Gröschler in der Albanistraße in Jever ca. 1930 Source:  Bob Löwenberg, Sammlung Hartmut Peters