Research into the provenance of works in the Städtische Kunstsammlung Chemnitz in the period 1933–1945
- Dr. Frédéric Bußmann
- Dr. Jennifer Chrost
- November 2013 to November 2014
- November 2014 to May 2015
The aim of the project was to systematically investigate the provenance of the paintings and sculptures acquired between 1933 and 1945 for the Städtische Kunstsammlung Chemnitz and the “Kunsthütte zu Chemnitz” art association—the predecessor institutions of the present-day Kunstsammlungen Chemnitz.
In the project, 194 works (174 paintings and 20 sculptures) were examined. The objects can be roughly divided into two groups:
- Paintings and sculptures that the museum obtained from art dealers, private individuals and other people, or through donations from foundations and other institutions (59 works)
- Paintings and sculptures that the museum obtained from art exhibitions and/or directly from artists (135 works)
List of persons and institutions that are historically relevant to the project
The new National Socialist management of the Städtische Kunstsammlung under Wilhelm Rüdiger and his successor Josef Müller put an emphasis on German art of the 19th century. They removed the modern works, particularly the prestigious collection of Expressionist art. The sale and exchange of these between 1934 and 1938 enabled the museum to acquire works primarily by artists from the Romantic and Biedermeier periods. The art dealers with whom the museum worked were Wilhelm Grosshennig (Gerstenberger gallery), Chemnitz; Alex Vömel, Düsseldorf; Dr. W.A. Luz and Prof. G.J. Kern, Berlin; Meyer antiquarian art shop, Kühl gallery and Axt gallery, Dresden. It also worked with private foundations, private collectors and public institutions.